Monday, May 12, 2014

Where is happiness?

We are pre-conditioned in this life to pursue happiness... Some ask 'what is the meaning of life', etc. But let's be simple and state the one true fact: every human being in this world want everlasting happiness. And we all pursue happiness in different ways.

I grew up thinking that a 'good life' was comprised of having lots of money to do whatever I want. So I dedicated my 30 years of life pursuing what I thought would make me happy: education, job, relationships, etc.

But, I've learned a flaw in my pursuit. Thinking that these external conditions will make me happy actually only make me suffer and, ultimately, sad (the opposite of happiness). The things I've been chasing my whole life will in fact disappoint me at some point: I would get a bad grade, I won't like my job anymore, and I would grow apart from people I used to be close with. 

So where do we find happiness? 

Everlasting happiness doesn't exist in external conditions. External conditions will only bring temporary joy - temporary relief from suffering. Everlasting happiness exist in our mind. If I understand that my external conditions (job, relationships, the weather, etc.) will not make me happy, then I am one step closer to understanding that I have control over my own world. I will not place my happiness on external things. I will place my happiness on me. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment